Tuesday 4 October 2011

Bendtner delighted with first goal

Nicklas Bendtner was happy to take his first goal for Sunderland however it came after helping to ease the pressure on manager Steve Bruce.

The on-loan Arsenal striker's 24th-minute effort sparked a comeback which eventually saw the Black Cats claim a 2-2 draw with West Brom after enduring a nightmare start to a game they could not afford to lose at the end of a traumatic week.

For Bendtner, the fact that his shot was deflected past Baggies keeper Ben Foster by defender Gareth McAuley's out-stretched leg after Sebastian Larsson had back-heeled the ball into his path did not matter one bit after a four-game wait to open his account in a red and white shirt.

"I was very delighted. I knew Seb was going to drag it back because he had seen me, but as I saw the tackle coming in, I thought 'Oh no', because it was difficult and I had to shoot first touch", Bendtner said.

"But then it deflected in and I was very pleased because it's always special to get off the mark no matter how it goes in. I was a bit unlucky against Norwich, but then again, it was always going to come at some point".

"If you keep putting yourself in the box and keep getting in amongst the chances, it will come for sure".